Monday, January 12, 2015

Monday is Laundry Day!

As I loaded the washer this morning I started thinking about how much of my time is used on laundry. Monday is laundry day...and so is Wednesday and Friday too! Granted, we are a family of five so of course we will generate some laundry throughout a week. Also, we use cloth diapers so that adds a few loads as well. But that is not all. I believe the main reason laundry takes long at my house is because of my mom. Let me explain.

My mom is responsible for.....

     *teaching me how to do laundry properly and carefully

     *teaching me to take pride in my clothes and in taking care of them


     *teaching me to sort not only into lights and darks but in whites, pastels, medium,             darks, reds/brights and towels. And in cold, warm, hot, hand-wash, wool, gentle or 
      sanitize cycles

     *teaching me that by hanging clothes rather than putting them all in the dryer they 
      will keep their shape and color and last much longer overall

     *teaching me that fabric softeners and dryer sheets are not necessities but that a 
      couple of minutes in the dryer before hanging not only takes the wrinkles out but             also removes some of that stiffness clothes tend to get from being hung

     *saving me lots of money since my clothes last and my kids can wear their clothes               until they grow out of them and then they can usually get passed on as well 

So yes, it takes longer doing laundry at my house. The sorting, washing and hanging my clothes for then to finally fold and put them away once they are dry does take time. I also have to have a drying rack or two and a place to hang my clothes to dry. Nonetheless, I thank my mom for teaching me how this everyday task is an important one and that there are hidden benefits of doing it this way over another. So, laundry day will continue to be on Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays over here.

Below is the secret to my sorting madness. My laundry tower!! I love this as it makes sorting soooo much easier :)




On a daily basis this is what it (ideally) looks like with the cover down and nothing on top.



This is what it looks like under the cover and I try to sort the majority of my laundry directly into this at the end of the day. However, I do still have a hamper in both bathrooms so I can easily collect and bring the laundry to the laundry tower.






2 comments:

  1. I also sort into whites, pastels, medium, darks, reds/brights and towels, plus jeans, dark pants and khakis. But they usually go into big ugly piles on the floor. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa! I have to make clothes last as long as possible because I hate shopping :-)

    ReplyDelete