Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Food Challenge Recap

Like I already mentioned, the first part of my food challenge came to an end a week ago. Now that I have recovered from a couple of days of intensive cooking and prepping for the rest of the month and a weekend filled with organization projects and a birthday party I am ready to recap how it went. I am going to show you what my fridge looked like after the fact. (I forgot to take a picture of the freezer and now it is packed with meals and groceries so I will not worry about that).

I am still trying to figure out this picture taking and editing thing, so please be patient with me on that. Take a look at the after pictures, this is what was left in my fridge and pantry once I had cooked my way through it :) If you want to compare you can look at the before pictures.


The Fridge



On the top shelf, there is a half jar of canned pears (that used to be in the pantry), a jar with some ground flaxseed (ground from flaxseed from the pantry), a bag with oatmeal waffles (made from ingredients in the fridge and pantry) and one bowl of mango mousse (using ingredients from freezer, fridge and pantry).

The middle shelf has a small jar with some lemon juice (taken from the freezer), one bag with multi grain bread (made from a mix that used to be in the pantry) and one with homemade wheat bread. The small container holds chicken salad for my husband's lunch (canned chicken from pantry and mayo from fridge) and there is half a jar of bean soup (used up soup mix from pantry) and one jar of bean and hotdog casserole (using beans from pantry and hotdogs from the freezer).

The bottom shelf has a container with half a sandwich leftover from lunch. Half a jar of turkey stock (taken from the freezer) and a container of some slices of bacon (also taken from the freezer). 

The produce drawers are empty.




                       Before                                                                            After

Ok, so not a lot of difference here....sunbutters are empty. One of the mayo jars is gone and I moved a couple of things around.
(Now, a few more days after the picture was taken the jar of yeast has been used up, the tamari sauce with green lid has been used up and the almond butter is gone too.)















For some reason I still cannot get the after picture to load, but I will keep trying!





Butter is down to one package and 1/2 stick (though by this point the majority of that one package is gone too). Milk and sparkling water are gone and 1 small jar of liverpate was taken out from the freezer.
The Pantry





















Top shelf: Container with cookies is gone, oats are gone.
Second shelf: Some baking supplies are gone and a jar of pears is half gone.
Third shelf: less in the rice and beans basket and a little less flour in the other baking basket.
Fourth shelf: sugar is less, flaxseed is less and both all purpose and whole wheat flours are used up.
Bottom shelf: The multigrain mix is gone, there is now a bowl with mix for one whole wheat bread (which has since been made)




Both chicken and tuna cans are decreasing in number and the canned pears are gone.Otherwise, not much change here.

Of course I went to the grocery store and restocked quite a bit so it is not quite as empty anymore.
Here is to a great food month and being able to stay within our budget!



No comments:

Post a Comment