Sunday, January 4, 2015

Jan 4th - Meals prepared ahead of time is the way to go!

Today was a relatively "easy" food day because all our meals were in the fridge, more or less ready to just heat and serve. I have vowed to myself many a time to cook in bulk, freeze meals and be better prepared. And I will try again :) New year, new chance!

I would like to note that my husband was not there for neither breakfast nor lunch today, which made those meals stretch a bit further. 
Also, even though today's meals seem entirely devoid of vegetables I will note that the besides the soup being a veggie soup the meatballs have both mushrooms and carrots in them already. But do not worry, of course I will not keep our vegetable intake this low forever, but for now I am convinced we will be A-OK :) 


(Furthermore on the low-vegetable track....for anybody especially interested you can take a look at this article on Salicylate Sensitivity which is something I am almost certain applies to at least a couple of us in this house).

Back to the topic......
Today our meals looked like this: 

Breakfast: 
- Oatmeal Waffles - except for one lonely waffle, this was the last of my large batch
- Sunbutter
- Almond butter
- 4 slices of bacon

Lunch:
- Hot cocoa for the kids (milk, cocoa, sugar and some whipping cream)
- Butternut Squash Soup for the kids - yup the portion was large so we still have some left
- Bean and grain soup for me
- Whole wheat bread
     *butter
     *liverpate
- Home-canned pears

Snack for kids:
- leftover pizza slices 
- leftover biscuits

Dinner:
- Rice
- Meatballs from the freezer
- Gravy (using turkey stock from the freezer, some butter and some flour)
- "Curried beef" (Beef patties from the freezer, cut up and in a curry sauce made with the last      little bit of the potato/cauliflower soup as the base and onion powder, curry and salt) 

Dessert:
- 2 servings of lemon mousse

Other items made:
- cocoa and oatmeal treats
     *butter
     *sugar in the raw
     *cocoa
     *oats
     *shredded coconut
- hot tea with breakfast

1 comment: