Sunday, July 19, 2015

Gluten Free Norwegian Waffles


When I think of waffles I think of dessert or a treat, not breakfast. I think of the Norwegian thin, slightly tangy, heart-shaped waffles served with brown cheese or jam. I would dare say that you cannot get more Norwegian than waffles. There has to be a reason why the symbol for the Norwegian Seamen's Church is just that....a waffle heart! Every Norwegian knows (or at least should know) how to make them and all Norwegians big and small love these heart shaped treats! 


So, why all this talk about waffles.....well you can imagine my disappointment when I started my wheat/corn/soy free diet and realized that I would not be able to make traditional waffles again. I knew I could make them using a gluten-free flour mixture but most GF flours do not leave you with a doughy, soft and delicious end product. However, after some back and forth, I came up with a Gluten Free flour mixture that is my go to All Purpose flour and it is perfect for these waffles!! So excited!!!




Gluten Free Norwegian Waffles

Ingredients:
- 1 egg

- 1/2 tsp baking soda

- 2 Tblsp water

- 1 quart buttermilk

- 4 Tblsp melted butter

- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (I use one without added sugar)

- 5-6 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (find my Homemade GF AP Flour mix here)


Directions:

- In a large bowl, whip the egg until well combined.

- In a small cup, dissolve the baking soda in the water and set aside.

- Melt the butter and add it slowly to the egg, making sure to whisk constantly to avoid 
  scrambling the egg.

- Add the baking soda water, vanilla and the buttermilk and whisk until well combined. 

- Add 5 cups of flour and make sure to whisk until there are no lumps.

- Leave the batter to rest for 30 minutes then whisk it again and you should have a nice 
  ribbon-stage batter. 

**Ribbon stage is when you lift the whisk out of the batter and 'draw' something on the surface you will see the image for a second or two before it disappears. It should not be too soupy but also not so thick the image stays for several seconds before it slowly goes away.**

- Adjust the batter as needed with either more flour or a little bit of water to get the 
  proper consistency.

- Heat your waffle iron and brush with butter (or oil) and cook waffles until nice and 
  golden. Make sure to reheat the waffle iron between each waffle.

- Let the waffles cool slightly on a cooling rack before serving them with jam or 
  Norwegian Brown Goat cheese or the topping of your choice.

Enjoy!

**Note....this is a large recipe so either save some batter for another day or share waffles with all your friends! They are most certainly best when warm, they do not store well in the fridge as they tend to get dry and tough**


2 comments:

  1. I would at least use three eggs... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have to take that up with vaffelsjefen.... Even he approved of these ;)

    ReplyDelete