Monday, January 13, 2014

Oatmeal Waffles

Breakfast seems to always be a bit of a challenge at my house. My kids have grown tired of oatmeal and scrambled eggs or omelets etc. are not the highest on their list either. I do have to say that I have the least picky eaters I have ever met, but I think we just hit a point where the same old breakfasts were just that, the same old. So in order to still give them oatmeal and also eggs here are two options that are big hits:


Blender Oatmeal Waffles
1 ½ c oats (quick or regular)
1 ½ c milk (can be substituted, see below)
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tblsp oil
1 egg (can be substituted, see below)
A pinch of salt


In a blender combine all the ingredients and puree until it makes a pretty smooth batter.
Let the batter sit for 15 minutes and at that point add an additional ¼ c of milk if it seems too thick.
Make the waffles, cooking them until nice and golden.


My waffle maker is similar to this and makes the thinner waffle hearts rather than the thick Belgian style waffles, so I have to admit I do not know if this works Belgian style. However, I do know that these waffles are a great way to eat oatmeal on-the-go. They work well with sunbutter and banana or even with ham and cheese. :)

**The milk can be substituted for water if you are allergic to dairy. Just make sure to increase the cooking time because it seems to take a bit longer than when using milk. I have also made these with rice milk which worked, however I have never tried almond, soy or coconut milk but I would not be surprised if that works as well.

**If you are allergic to eggs you can substitute flaxseed meal. Mix 1 Tblsp ground flaxseed with 3 Tblsp boiling water. Let the mixture stand for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is kind of gummy and similar in texture to egg whites. Again, I am sure you can use other egg substitutes as well, but I have not tried them.
The waffles are inspired by this recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment