Monday, May 18, 2015

Quinoa and Lentil Curry with Broccoli

So here is the deal…..I am, as of recently, on a low-inflammation diet. It is a healthy, balanced diet with a decent amount of restrictions. Though I am glad there are a lot of great foods on my "yes" food list, I am still stomped at times when trying to come up with dinner. Today I am cooking dinner out of our stash of food so as it turns out none of us are eating the same! What my kids and my husband are eating I cannot have so ....what is mamma having????

Once I had cleared out the fridge for my husband's and my kids' dinners I did one last fridge/pantry/freezer raid in a desperate attempt to find some dinner for myself. And that is how this Curry recipe was born! Hope you enjoy J




Quinoa and Lentil Curry with Broccoli

Ingredients:

drizzle of olive oil

1/4 small red onion, finely chopped 

1/2 large sweet potato, diced small

1/2 cup quinoa

1/2 cup split red lentils, rinsed

2 cups frozen broccoli cuts

1 cup full-fat coconut milk

2 cups water (+ more for cooking quinoa)

1 Tblsp applesauce (unsweetened)

2 Tblsp fresh chives

1 tsp curry powder (or to taste)

cayenne pepper, to taste

chili powder, to taste

garlic salt, to taste


Directions:

- Put the broccoli out on the counter to thaw

- Cook the quinoa according to package directions and put aside

- In a medium sized pot, drizzle some oil and add the onion and sweet potato

- Sauté the vegetables on medium heat until the onion is translucent, 3-4 minutes

- Add the lentils and water and simmer until the lentils are very soft, about 15 minutes.
  (The lentils will become the thickening in the sauce, so cooking them to mush is ok)

- Add the broccoli, the applesauce and the coconut milk and continue to simmer for an
  additional 10 minutes.

- During the last 5 minutes, add the cooked quinoa, the chives and the spices and let the 
  flavors blend together.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment