Saturday, June 6, 2015

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!

I am kind of excited that I have figured out a way to do pizza even on my new and restricted diet!

I am not eating wheat, which in most cases would mean I should be able to eat a gluten-free pizza.....well..... I am also not eating potato, soy or corn either and let me tell you that really limits the gluten-free choices out there! And yes I know that pizza is not a necessity by any stretch of the imagination but that does not mean that I don't enjoy eating a slice every once in a while. 

I am not going to pretend like I invented this new, revolutionary, never-before-tried recipe for amazing pizza crust. As a matter of fact it has been around for a while and I found the original recipe here on a blog called The Lucky Penny. Check it out, there are pictures and such! 


And of course, like in almost all cases, I made a couple of minor adjustments and I have a arrived at my new pizza crust! 

Warning! It is quite a lot of work and it is not low-calorie so make sure to save it for those once in a while pizza days.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
makes two 15" x 10" crusts

Ingredients:
- 3 lbs of cauliflower florets (I use frozen cauliflower that I thaw beforehand)

- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (use the real stuff!)

- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 

- 1/4 -1/2 tsp salt

- 1 tsp dried basil

- 1 tsp dried oregano

- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder (don't use garlic salt!)

- 2 large eggs + 1 large egg white


Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F

- If you are using frozen cauliflower make sure to thaw it ahead of time

- In a food processor, process the cauliflower until it resembles small crumbles/rice.

- Place the cauliflower crumbles in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 6 minutes
  (alternatively, you can steam the cauliflower for a few minutes before processing it).

- Let the cauliflower cool slightly and then place it in a clean dish towel and wring out as 
  much water as possible. *This is a large portion so you need to do this in several rounds, 
  making sure to place the "dry" cauliflower crumbles into a new large bowl. 
  
- You want the cauliflower as dry as possible!

- When all of the cauliflower has been thoroughly wrung out mix in the salt, herbs, garlic 
  powder and cheeses.

- Then add the eggs and egg white and mix until well combined.

- Line two 15" x 10" cookie sheets with parchment paper and put half of the cauliflower 
  mixture onto each cookie sheet.

- Using your hands, pat the crust flat starting at the center and working your way 
  outward.

- You want the crust patted down well and as even thickness as possible to make sure it 
  cooks evenly and holds together. 

- If you crust seems very wet pat it a few times with paper-towels or a clean dish towel. 

- Once the crust is all nice and even, bake it for 8 minutes in the middle of the oven.

- Remove the crust from the oven, flip it over and then put it back in the oven and bake     it for 8 minutes on the other side. 
  (The best way to do this is to put a new sheet of parchment paper on top of the crust, 
  then put another cookie sheet face down on top of that and flip the whole thing over). 

- Remove the crust from the oven and it should be bubbly golden and ready for toppings!

- I suggest using pre-cooked toppings because it only takes about 8-12 minutes to bake         the pizza off once it has been topped however you desire.

**Make sure to lower the heat on the oven to 400 degrees F before baking off the pizza.

  Enjoy!!

This is what the crust should look like once it is done and you are ready to add toppings.



The before-baking picture of a pizza I made for my kids. 
It has carrot sauce, cheese and hotdog pieces. 



Kids' pizza all ready to be enjoyed!


This is the pizza I made for the adults.
Tomato sauce, cheese, mushrooms, red pepper and garlic turkey sausage, carmelized onions and topped with more red peppers and a sprinkle of oregano. It was a hit! 








1 comment:

  1. Lisa, this is not a recipe I ever thought I would make. But since I'm Carb cycling and eating low carbs today, I thought I would try this instead of a salad. It turned out pretty good! I can't even say if I like cauliflower, but the flavor was good, and this definitely passed for pizza crust. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete