Saturday, April 5, 2014

Homemade Chicken Liver Pâté


I have wanted to learn to make liver pâté from scratch for quite a while and now seemed like the perfect time since neither my kids nor I can eat the store-bought kind anymore. I grew up eating pâté on bread and my kids have eaten their share as well and really like it.

The original recipe is from zerowastehome. However, since we have various limitations including dairy and salicylates** I had to make quite a few changes and here is what I came up with:

Homemade Chicken Liver Pâté
2 oz chicken fat (can use butter if dairy is not an issue)

2 oz homemade lard (can use butter if dairy is not an issue)

1 lb organic chicken livers



1/4 cup homemade organic golden delicious apple juice

salt to taste

Melt the chicken fat in a skillet, add the chicken livers and sauté them until they are thoroughly cooked.
Add the apple juice to the pan to deglaze it, making sure to scrape all the little bits from the bottom of the pan.

Using either a food processor or an immersion blender to process the livers and juice mixture with the homemade lard until smooth.
Season with salt to taste.

I store the pâté in the refrigerator or I freeze it in an ice-cube tray or a small jar for future use.


**If you do not know what salicylates are you can read all about them on my friend Kristi's Baby Food Steps blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment