Saturday, April 12, 2014

Brownies with fudge icing

This brownie recipe came about because I got a craving for donuts....logical right? Well, I really wanted donuts but was not about to start a hunt for some dairy free ones at the store because I knew I most likely would come up short and be disappointed. Therefore I searched for a dairy free donut recipe in order to try to make some. Well, I do not have a fryer so I modified my search for the baked kind and I came across a recipe on brooklynfarmgirl.com which seemed very promising.

I made a couple of modifications and decided to try to bake them in a brownie pan since I do not have a donut pan anyhow. Despite them not having any resemblance to a donut they turned out a success if I may say so myself.

They are a cake-like, not fudge-like, allergy friendly and very good brownies! They are quick and easy and they are dairy free, corn free, egg free, nut free and salicylate safe. They could probably also be chocolate free if you use carob powder, and gluten free if you substitute the regular flour for gluten free. And even though they are free of a lot they are full of chocolaty flavor and they were a hit with both kids and adults at our house.




Brownies with Creamy Fudge Icing 

Brownie Batter
3/4 cup all purpose flour (regular or gluten free)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or carob)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
5 Tblsp vegetable oil (I used organic canola oil)
1/2 cup water

Fudge Icing
1 cup powdered sugar (can be corn free)
2 Tblsp Organic Spectrum All Vegetable Shortening
2 Tblsp water (more if needed)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Heat the oven to 350°F and grease a 5x7 inch baking dish with spectrum organic shortening.

In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil and water and whisk it until well combined.

Pour the batter into the dish and smooth is out so it is an even layer.

Bake the brownies in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Make the fudge icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, shortening, cocoa and water until smooth and creamy. You can add more water, little by little, if needed in order to get it a nice, spreadable consistency but do not add too much, as it will get very runny and not stick well to the brownies.

Let the brownies cool down a bit before spreading the icing over the top and let the icing set before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment