Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Valentine's Day Treats

My daughter has been in preschool for a whole 5 months or so and I feel like there is always something "special" going on. A special craft, a special program, a special snack, a special lunch and so forth an so on. As a mom of a child with allergies these special events turn into a bit of a production for me since I do want to try to provide a very similar, allergy-friendly alternative for my daughter. To be honest, I would be quite ok if there were less "special" things and more of the "normal" things. 

Anyhow, to recap some of the events we have had in these 5 short months...there are of course all the birthdays with a special birthday snack. Then there was the hot-dog lunch, the Christmas party (which I still intend to post about later on), and father's night. All of these required a special meal or snack or treat. Oh and not to forget the firetruck craft and the gingerbread decorating. The firetruck was made from graham crackers, oreos and pink icing. Thankfully there are allergy-friendly alternatives to both grahams and oreos and beet juice makes icing pink, so after a get-your-kids-piled-in-the-car-and-run-into-the-specialty-grocery-store-with-all-three-in-tow-BEFORE-school-starts-in-the-morning scramble we did manage to make it happen on short notice. And as far as gingerbread goes, mamma can stay up and make dough the night before, sure thing! 


And then there is this month.... for some reason February is an extra special month. There is a Valentine's Day Party, there is a Pizza and Pajama Party and there is a Cowboy Lunch, oh and one more birthday of course; all of this they have managed to pack into the shortest month of the year! Sigh! 

Does anyone else think that all this specialness is making things less special?? However, no matter how much I agree or disagree with it all I still want my daughter to feel like she is a part of it just like the other kids; so sure I can make Valentine's Day snacks and treats and sure I can make homemade tomato-less pizza for her next week and heck I am sure I will come up with something for whatever it is that a cowboy lunch is too for the week following!


Well, tomorrow is the Valentine's Day Party and this is what I came up with as far as treats and such. 


The other kids will have assorted berries, but since this is mostly a no-no for my daughter I needed to come up with another cute and somewhat colorful alternative. Cookie-cutter cucumber hearts and carrot flowers and the word "love" and "hug" became the answer.




There will be cake or cupcakes, and therefore I decided to use these pumpkin cupcakes with buttercream-ish icing that I had stashed away for an occasion such as this. 

I simply added a few pink hearts and ta-da V-day ready!




Here is another shot of it just because I am practicing my picture taking skills.

Cupcakes are my go-to since they are easy to freeze, they thaw quickly, they are the perfect portion, they are cute and you can decorate them in a lot of different ways. 



Well there will also be cookies.....so again I had some in the freezer that after being adorned with a little bit of natural food-color pink icing became v-dayish too :)




















I am not sure if there will be any additional treats, so I made an extra just in case.

These little hearts are a spin-off of crispy rice treats. 
They are made from allergy-friendly marshmallows, a little bit of butter and plain puffed rice cereal. They were molded in a silicone ice cube tray for the occasion. 



Lastly, juice boxes are another no-no so her special drink is a small water bottle with a splash of pure mango juice and it is of course decorated for the occasion. 


It may seem excessive to some that I go to such lengths trying to make similar alternatives for my daughter, but I can say from experience that she will remember it is a positive way. My mom did it for me and I loved feeling included. Therefore I will continue to do it for my kids too!

No comments:

Post a Comment