Sunday, August 24, 2014

Spring has Sprung, Summer has Slipped Away and School is about to be in Session!

Yes, I know we all say the same things, but here goes.....Where did summer go???? I feel like it was just yesterday that school let out and the thermometer inched its way up and up and we got ready to tackle our summer "bucket list". 

Ok, so we do not have an official bucket list but I have a million things inside of my head that I think we should do, or places we should go. But, in all honesty, I think we did maybe a handful of those things...and that is even counting one of them twice! (We ate cupcakes from an actual cupcake place! Two times! Which might not seem like a big deal to most people, but to people with allergic children it is a relatively big deal :))

Back to the whole summer is gone concept....this year the summer ending is marking a brand new phase in our life. We are officially elementary school parents, and I am scared out my mind! I know this sounds absolutely silly, but I am convinced I am twice as nervous as my daughter who is way up there on the nervous-like-no-other scale. I told my husband that I think it is due to the fact that I did not grow up here and elementary school in Norway is very different than here (or at least it was when I attended it). 


Those who know me know that I love school and I would be a student for life, if only it paid the bills, so it is not the idea of school that scares me, it is the idea of being responsible for a child in school that freaks me out! 

Deep breaths.....I can feel the cortisol levels rise and my heart beating fast just thinking about it! I am not good at giving up control. Actually, that is not true, I am beyond horrible at giving up control. I mean that in the least bossy-sounding way possible. New things, unexpected things, things I cannot completely plan for or make decisions about I am just not liking much. Hmmm......and I have wondered where that trait came from in my daughter....ding-ding-ding we have the answer!! :( 

In this case I have, thanks to my husband, taken a quarter of a step back and at least let my daughter pick the backpack she wanted....a very, very, very bright pink one....no comments about how mamma truly feel about that one. This was a HUGE step for me. Thankfully, we had a relatively uneventful back-to-school clothes shopping experience and were able to get things we were both happy with. Beyond that, my daughter is a planner like me and likes having her ducks in a row in advance, so clothes are put out, lunch bag is ready, snacks are planned and so forth. 

I know the first day will pass and the first week will pass and before I know it I will no longer have a kindergartner, I will have a 1st grader. Yikes! So, again, deep breaths...... and like my husband likes to remind me.....I will be ok! I just wish my husband could be there with me tomorrow to take our daughter to her first day of school but for some silly reason he thinks that the kids in his 5th grade class might need their own teacher on the first day of school too...

Hope everyone has a great 1st day back to school and a wonderful year!


No comments:

Post a Comment