Monday, September 15, 2014

Today I Made Time

As I take a look around my house this evening I see scattered toys, a pile of dishes and the mountain of laundry that was supposed to be done today...on laundry day. I see towels and bath toys on the floor in the bathroom, yogurt smeared all over a highchair and pastel colored high heeled shoes tossed over by the bookshelf.

Then I take a closer look and instead of scattered toys I see the Duplo cake my middle daughter made me and the stuffed bear my son dragged around hugging today, I see the book I read to my son and the kitchen items my daughter "bought" and tucked into a bag.

Instead of a pile of dishes I see the remains of the homemade lunch my daughter happily brought to school and the dinner my kids all sat down at the table together and enjoyed. 


Instead of a mountain of laundry I see articles of clothing that make my kids into small, self-expressive, colorful individuals.

Instead of dirty towels and scattered bath toys I see giggles and grins from three dripping wet little kids all piled into the tub.

Instead of yogurt smears I see my toddler working so hard on eating with a spoon.

And instead of high heels tossed by the bookshelf I see my oldest dressed up, having a dance performance for me and her siblings. . . . complete with a bouquet of pipe cleaner and construction paper flowers for after the show.

My change of view is thanks to a blog post I read this morning by one of my favorite inspirational bloggers Becky at Scissortail Silk. The post was titled The Day I Stopped Saying I Don't Have Time and it really hit home. 

I truly think I went through my day with different glasses on today. I took the time to play with my kids, watch their performances and read them books. I also went to the farmers' market with my youngest two and made a pit stop a my mom's house "just" to cook and eat lunch. The smiles on my kids faces when they saw their grandma and likewise the smile on my mom's face when she saw us was well worth the 1 hour drive. Bathtime was a wet mess and it lasted twice as long as planned. Bedtime reading was spent listening to my oldest two reciting the book we have read every night for a couple of weeks and seeing their faces light up when they remembered the lines in the book.

The day was wrapped up with hugs and kisses and kids that were too jittery to go to sleep but they were happy kids. They were my goofy, energetic, loving, adorable kids.

So many days I say I don't have time for all the things we did today.... but today I made time!


No comments:

Post a Comment